Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Apple Genius Bar Rocks!

Customer service has been a big part of my background. I always strived to deliver exceptional service, especially while I was helping to grow two family businesses with my parents, siblings, my spouse and others. We lived and thrived by the outstanding service we provided to our clients, and built long-term high-quality relationships because of it. Consequently, I really appreciate what it takes for a company to do the right thing when the people and products don’t click together the way you had hoped.

Enter the Apple Genius Bar. I recently had the opportunity to use this service twice, in the Salem, NH Apple Store , as I was having difficulty moving all of my bookmarks, finances and general information-my digital life!-to my shiny new computer. In the process of the migration, something also went awry on my old laptop.

I made a reservation online, received a confirming email, and the following day showed up about five minutes before my appointment. The “concierge” (they wear orange shirts, in case you are in the store) checked me in upon arrival, and told me I didn’t have to wait in line, as she would come to get me when my turn came.

I sat down at the bar when called, and briefly explained the issues to my helper. Not only did the resident genius cheerfully, clearly, patiently and companionably help me get everything where it belonged so the new Mac was ready to roll, but also offered a simple solution to the issue on my older system.

Helpful Genius: “How old is your browser? She checks. “Oh, my… I’ll bet we can download the latest version, and that may just fix this issue.” She starts the download.

Me: I restart when it is complete and open the troublesome program. It works just fine now. Duh. I go to the bathroom in the store where I can slap myself on the forehead in private for not thinking of that simple solution.

The genius had me check around different areas of my new system to make sure the problems had been solved, which they had. Wahoo! I was up and running again.

I have been assisted by other Apple Store staff and have taken one of their many free workshops (imovie 09 is amazing, by the way!) and cannot stress enough how helpful, pleasant, organized, knowledgeable and patient each person was.

I love the service. I love the folks who talk to me in terms I understand rather than “geek speak”. I love not being treated as an idiot, and I especially love having people who can either help me with easy solutions to my simple problems-at no charge!-or can let me know if I’m facing a repair (you mean I can’t let the dog’s energetic tail swipe the computer to the floor, then spill water on it, and still expect it to work like new?).

This is what exceptional service looks like. Simply put: The Apple Genius Bar is genius!

How is the level of your "customer service" that you give to your family, friends and co-workers? I encourage you to keep the Golden Rule in mind: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. This can go a long way towards guiding you to building relationships that are a little less rocky and a lot richer. Practice this starting today. You will be glad you did.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr