Sunday, March 20, 2011

Where are you and where are you supposed to be?

Vancouver sailboat © K. Hall
Although I am a very optimistic, mostly upbeat person, I must admit I haven't ever been really intentional about setting larger life-sized goals. If I were a boat, my name would likely be the Aimless Wanderer, or maybe the Endless Drifter. You know that old saying about how if you love something you must set it free, and it will come back to you? Well, I've always navigated using the "set the rudder free and it will come back to me...to occasionally hit me on my backside, sometimes in a really painful way" system.

I must say that the results of that have been less than satisfying. That is not to say that I am disgruntled about where I ended up. To the contrary, I am blessed in great abundance by my family, friends, church community and especially by God. I have been challenged, tested, shaped and sharpened so much that I beleive I should have been trimmed down to at least a svelte size 4 by now.

Surprisingly, I am not.

 I do, however, feel a real pull this time, a desire to take hold of the rudder under His direction, and steer this humble craft back out of the safety of the shallows, away from the grasp of the tangled undergrowth and muck of the shoreline where I have felt stuck for so long, and navigate towards living a more purposeful, intentional life.

Where are you? Are you feeling stuck or trapped? Take some time today to get a fresh perspective to help you move forward, whether through reading, prayer, or talking with friends who love you enough to be honest with you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr