Monday, April 4, 2011

Of God winks and God prods

Photo by K. Hall
People talk about God winks, those events during which  they are sure that they are sensing the presence of God, often in the form of a positive coincidence in the midst of difficult circumstances their lives. Other people say they are seeing the hand of God at work when circumstances come together with a solution, oftentimes in response to prayers.

Well, I would like to add God prods to that group of expressions.

Have you ever experienced a God prod? I have. Too many times. It’s like being caught in elementary school passing a note, or at work goofing off at your desk. You knew you were doing something you shouldn’t, and yet you did. And then you felt that sensation, perhaps as a soft touch, or, if the situation merited it, as more of a real attention getting poke in the arm.

Ow.

Message received.

Whether that contact is mild or intense, it is a regular reminder I need to be more full of grace, kindness, faith and forgiveness, and to let go of annoyance, pride, and other numerous petty behaviors that keep me from being the person I was lovingly crafted to be.

Tell me how you have been prodded today.

1 comments:

Chelsea said...

Our sermon at church this weekend was focused on Manifesto- and our pastor said his manifesto is going to be to make it "hard to go to hell from East Tennessee." He was talking about reaching out to people and doing all you can to tell people about the Lord's love and doing all we can to avoid having someone's blood on our hands. Anyways, today in my anatomy lab me and a few of the students got to talking about church and Easter. I am NOT someone to bring up whether or not someone goes to church, or invite them to mine- I'm just very unobtrusive in that way. I got the most overwhelming feeling to tell them about my church and invite them all to our upcoming Easter services. Definitely a "God prod" :)

Post a Comment

 
Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr