Friday, June 3, 2011

Five minute Friday-Every Day...





Today is Five Minute Friday, with a nod to The Gypsy Mama, and here what she has to say today:

That’s what we do around here on Fridays. We eat words. Straight up. Without second guessing, editing, or critisizing them. We simply savor all their deliciousness. For a full five minutes. You should try it. It’s a calorie-rich experience sans calories.

Wanna just write? Without wondering if it’s just right?

Indulge in five rich, delicious minutes of pure writing.
Tell your readers you’re linking up here and invite them to dig in too.
And most importantly, go visit, read, and compliment the five minute chef who served something up right before you.
Easy peasy.

 So let's get to it!

car hop waitress

Every Day...
If we are not careful, every day can just blend into another boring, meaningless twenty-four hours, but Friday…

Friday glides up to my morning window like a car hop from the old-fashioned drive-in, full of sunny smiles and holding a menu that offers mouth-watering goodness.

“Hello, ma’am. How would you like your day today?” she asks with a lilting voice. “Would you prefer a mug of sparkling frosty root beer with that soft foam on top that melts in your mouth, or would you prefer a triple scoop mega chocolate ice cream sundae with fudge sauce and whipped cream?”

Oooh. Tough choice.

However, no matter what I order, there are occasions that I don’t receive quite what I requested. Some days, my root beer is more flat than bubbly, and my ice cream tastes more like “too long in the freezer” than supremely decadent chocolate.

And actually, that is ok. It is those times where I am challenged to appreciate my day, when I don’t necessarily get what I asked for, that invite me to look for the blessings in my life.

It reminds me that with a shift in perspective, sometimes accompanied with a grinding of gears, I can see clearly...

That life is good.

Everyday.

Besides, the next time the waitress brings my sweet treat, I will be so very grateful, and savor each and every bit.  Mmmmmm….

A disclaimer: I broke the rules. I took more than 5 minutes. I edited. I ask forgiveness. And for chocolate.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

Love this post! I also love that I am not the only one that admittedly took a little more than 5 minutes and may or may not have gone back and at least fixed my spelling mistakes... :) You are an amazing writer and I am so glad you commented on my blog so that I became interested to see who linked after me and then I had to read yours too...Run on sentence sorry...I am glad to met you and can't wait to read more of your fun writing that makes me sooo want root beer right now because you described it PERFECTLY!

Unknown said...

Loved your last bit -- way to be sweetly honest!

I find that as I awoke this morning, without the rush of getting from here to there, that I was so filled, just with the prospect of having a day to spend with my kids, at our own pace. I think God is doing something in me -- breaking down my need for productivity all the time, and instead, taking time to revel.

Anonymous said...

"Friday glides up to my morning window like a car hop from the old-fashioned drive-in, full of sunny smiles and holding a menu that offers mouth-watering goodness."


Love this quote!!!
Tee

Emily said...

I love this. Thanks for making me smile today.

And I'll admit that I always fix my spelling mistakes. My OCD won't let me leave them alone.

Jennifer said...

I was just wondering,"How did she write all that in just five minutes?!" :)
Very creative and cute post to share a profound truth!

Kim said...

Thank you as always, ladies for your kind words. It makes me laugh to know that others have issues leaving their spelling stand as is, etc.

This weekend, take a little time to relax, and lift a glass of root beer, an ice cream sundae, or even just some refreshing cold water to everyone who takes part in this great Five Minute Friday community!

Post a Comment

 
Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr